[TYPO3-core] TYPO3 CMS Deployment with code and database

Loek Hilgersom loek at netcoop.nl
Thu Mar 19 09:44:07 CET 2015

Hi Simon,

On 18-03-15 23:22, Simon Schaufelberger (Schaufi) wrote:
> Hi Loek,
> your scripts look quite complicated to understand and I have to dig a bit deeper
> to understand what exactly is going on.

Eh, yes. They 'evolved' so to say, in fact, they have been even more complex ;-)
And there are some features in there that are no longer used, or that seemed
useful but were never really used in the end. As it goes with this sort of
project: only when you are ready you know how it should have been done.

The changes I'm currently thinking of are these:
1. simplify (get rid of unused code and features)
2. restructure (make a library of functions, there is quite some duplicate code now)
3. get rid of Ant (it has got a few nice features like templating, but some
basic tasks are near impossible, I prefer to use just one thing and as long as
its structured and documented, that 'thing' could just be Bash.)

> So far I understood that you update the DB based on TCA, is that right?

Correct. It uses the extension t3deploy [1] to do that. It adds new tables,
fields and changes, but never automatically removes any.

> How do
> you handle content changes? I didn't find a place where you handle that.

That's done in apply-deltas.sh. It checks the version no. in .data-version on
the target system, applies all deltas higher than the current version (and
increases the version number).

Deltas consist of a directory with a 3-digit version no. for a name (eg. 1.2.1).
The directory contains an SQL file updates.sql with (mostly update) queries, but
can also contain a directory tree with new files to be copied into the existing
docroot, and - though seldom used - it can hold a script file updates.sh which
will be executed when the deltas are applied.

The apply-deltas.sh first runs the TCA-update, and then all the deltas that the
target system does not have yet.

It works quite ok, except when you have multiple development tracks working
parallel you have to pay attention: when one team adds delta 1.5.0 but the
change is not merged yet when the other team deploys 1.6.0, then the changes of
1.5.0 will not be deployed automatically afterwards. O.t.o.h., for a testing
environment you anyway want to use the built-in feature to automatically restore
a backup before you apply your new changes, so that you always test on a clean,
known state. And for a production deployment I suppose you'll pay some attention
anyway ;-)

But it would be more perfect to use something which keeps track of exactly which
delta's have been applied on a certain system, like doctrine does.

> I thought about a hook that will be executed on every db change (insert, update,
> delete) in the TYPO3 backend which will eventually write the sql changes to a
> file which then can be deployed. That would be the cleanest way imho.

I have also been thinking about that, using tcemain to apply db updates.
Theoretically the way to go, but I wouldn't be surprised if it would create some
unexpected obstacles. And I guess will require a different syntax for the
updates. Now I just write SQL: the bits that I added manually on my dev machine
I export using PhpMyAdmin and just copy parts of the output into the updates.sql.

The Core API extension [2] is something to keep an eye on, although the DataApi
has been under the heading 'planned/comming soon' for a while.

>> I'd be happy to be involved in further
>> discussions/developments on this sort of thing.
>
> yes, let's keep the ball rolling together! ;)

Great!

Loek

[1] https://github.com/AOEmedia/t3deploy
[2] https://github.com/TYPO3-coreapi/ext-coreapi