[TYPO3-core] [Poll[ Integrate Speaking URLs in to TYPO3 CMS7

Benjamin Mack benni at typo3.org
Sun Mar 15 17:21:40 CET 2015

Hey everybody,

in the past years, there were (in my eyes) quite a majority of claiming
that "Speaking URLs" in a enterprise manner should be part of the core.

Although I am in strong favor of having a small core itself, I see a big
need for supporting Routing / Speaking URLs out-of-the-box as part of
the easeness for a simple setup for newbies and the maintenance within
the Active Contributors. This is the main goal what we want to achieve
with CMS7. However, this is an important topic which is why I'd like to
hear your opinion on how we should approach this topic. Here are some
options from the top of my head, where I'd like your feedback:

1) Integrate RealURL as additional system extension, stabilize for CMS 7
usage for maximum performance and current PHP 5.5 code base. Slowly
implement a new routing alternative (maybe Dmitry's RealURL 2) for CMS8
or CMS9 based on standards that are up-to-date and easier to configure.

Advantages: Migration for 99% of existing systems should be no problem,
people who want to use CoolURI can still run the core without realurl
installed. Core updates should be no problem at all anymore when using
realurl as before.

Disadvantages: Heavy configuration for any kind of configuration will be
kept for another 2 major releases until we have a new / better solution.

2) Come up with a full-fletched URL generating alternative for CMS7. I'm
in favor of something like the ChainRouter of Symfony2 CMF Routing
Framework (see http://symfony.com/doc/master/cmf/book/routing.html)

Advantages: Clean base starting today.

Disadvantages: Might not be as feature-complete as RealURL is now
(multi-language, multi-domain etc.). Migration for older systems might
be more difficult.

3) A different idea which I didn't see yet?

Let me know what you think - Thanks for your input!

Keep on contributing!
Benni.