[TYPO3-core] Branch for 7.1

Mathias Brodala mbrodala at pagemachine.de
Tue Apr 28 15:30:43 CEST 2015

Hi,

Am 28.04.2015 um 14:59 schrieb Bernhard Kraft:
> On 2015-04-28 13:20, Peter Niederlag wrote:
>
> > Another idea would then be to fully skip separate minor level branches
> > and just keep one branch per major version (7,8,9,...).
>
> Sounds like a good idea. So branches for every major version and for
> an LTS release. The mentioned tag-workflow won't work if you have more
> than one commit: like multiple security fixes for one micro version
> update ...

That won't work well. That'd mean that right now we'd have a 7.x branch
which receives constant merges or cherry-picks from master until 7 LTS
is released.

> Another idea would be to throw version numbers away at all. Then a new
> release announcement would sound like.
>
> Dear TYPO3 World,
>
> The TYPO3 Community has just
> released TYPO3 CMS 4b0660720f794864bfc673ef66b2a1806f2e6daf

There's so many things wrong with this, I don't even know where to
start. ;-)

First the hash must be shortened, then people will hate you for
"versions" like this
and marketing and merchandising won't work well with something like this
either.

If you manage to get a commit merged which results in a hash like "deadbeef"
though, we can talk again. :-)

Regards, Mathias