[TYPO3-core] Branch for 7.1

Peter Niederlag peter.niederlag at typo3.org
Tue Apr 28 13:20:29 CEST 2015

Hi,

On 28.04.2015 12:34, Christian Kuhn wrote:> Hey.
[...]
> patch level releases. We decided to refrain from creating the branches
> on a regular level to not clutter the repository with too many (mostly
> unused) branches. Branches are only created if needed: For the LTS
> release later this year and if the latest 7.x needs a security patch
> level release:
[...]

Sometimes having a branch and sometimes not does not sound sane to me.
;( Tag space is cluttered anyway, grep and git show-ref are easy enough
to use.

Another idea would then be to fully skip separate minor level branches
and just keep one branch per major version (7,8,9,...).

branch: 7.x (x as literal to indicate it holds different minor versions)
tags: 7.x.y (x and y as placeholder for the whatsover version)

General Workflow:
checkout tag and use
checkout branch and use -> stay up-to-date on 7.x branch

Workflow Security fix:

If any old minor 7.x versions need a security fix:
checkout most recent tag, add sec fix, create new tag, push

Something to think about? Not sure myself yet. ;)

Greets,
Peter