[TYPO3-core] What to do with extensions on sprint releases?

Ernesto Baschny ernesto.baschny at typo3.org
Mon Oct 20 17:50:25 CEST 2014

Hi,

Markus Klein schrieb am 17.10.2014 12:25:
> I would refrain from opening up TER uploads for future version numbers.
> Hence, allow 7.x uploads when 7 LTS is released.

We will have "7.0", "7.1" etc (snapshot releases) before the "7 LTS", so
why wouldn't an extension be able to mention compatibility with "7.1 and
later"? That would (as Helmut already noted) be a requirement for better
adoption of these snapshot releases.

> TER should generally support branches for extensions.

+1. Or the "new composer based TER". :)

> For the snapshot releases I stick to my proposal.
> I would not add an Install Tool setting again. Constraints are there to be checked and not to be generally disabled by some global setting which 90% of the users are not even aware of.
> So let's disable the version constraint check in EM codewise for the snapshot releases only.

The idea is that if it works "with 7.1 and later" it will also work with
"7 LTS". We should make sure it is possible *or* there is an "migration"
to cope with cases where it is not possible.

Philipp Gampe schrieb am 17.10.2014 11:58:
> We could loosen the version constrain from TER, allowing to upload
> extensions with a dependency for the current master branch (7.99).
> The problem is, that no extension can actually fulfill this promise,
> because no extension author can know in advance what will happen to
> the master branch and if the extension will need adoption.

Having snapshot releases means also that we do not break the API between
"7.1 and 7.2" for example. Else we have failed our goal of snapshot
releases being really useful!!! Breaking the API for extensions in
snapshot releases is *not* an option!

Thus the extension should be able to tell compatibility with "7.1-7.99"
right from start. Of course it won't use any new API introduced in "7.7"
for example, but it should work without a change until 7 LTS is released.

Cheers,
Ernesto

--
Ernesto Baschny