[TYPO3-core] Renaming the "Clear all cache" menu item?

Ernesto Baschny ernesto.baschny at typo3.org
Thu Mar 20 18:35:27 CET 2014

François Suter schrieb am 20.03.2014 16:15:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm currently updating Core APIs, in particular the changes to the
> caching framework and the new cache groups that were introduced.
>
> Reflecting on this, it seems to me that the "Clear all cache" menu item
> is confusing for users since it does not really clear all caches. All
> the more so, since it did in previous versions if I'm not mistaken (I've
> always been unsure about that and tend to nuke everything when unsure
> ;-) ).
>
> I think it's ok if the group itself is still called "all". I had a short
> chat with Helmut about it and he explained the issues of renaming that
> group (in particular, the fact that DataHandler already knows about
> clearing "all").
>
> But what about renaming the menu item? I have no brilliant idea, but I
> think that something like "Clear general caches" is better. What do you
> think?

+1 to rename it, good catch, that issue also was in my mind (somewhere).

The tooltip explains: "Clear all caches, including frontend caches, and
extension-specific caches. Compile-time caches / system caches that are
needed for TYPO3 to run are not touched."

Difficult to put that in one or two words. Because it includes the
"frontend caches" but also some extension caches. Maybe we could just
the use this info for the label?

* Flush frontend and extension caches

Somehow it should be implied that "Frontend" is also included in the
second one, else you confuse people which think they always need to
clear "frontend" and then the "general" caches one after the other.

Cheers,
Ernesto

--
Ernesto Baschny