[TYPO3-core] After the LTS is before the LTS

Michael Stucki michael.stucki at typo3.org
Fri Jun 27 14:43:03 CEST 2014

Hi Jigal,

> On 26-6-2014 15:23, Michael Stucki wrote:
>> I understand the effort for trying to gain more feedback, but I am not
>> sure if it will work. Why should it? With new LTS releases every 18
>> months, I would rather say that even more people will only use the LTS.
>>
>> More use of LTS means fewer feedback from non-LTS releases. Unlike
>> before, we won't get feedback about a 6 month old release, instead it
>> will be up to 18 months old. Prove me wrong...
>
> As far as I've understood there will only be LTS releases (no 6-months
> releases) and the EAR (please find a better name!) snapshots.
>
> The desire for LTS versions (at least with agencies) is evident as we
> see that 66% of the 4.5+ installations uses an LTS version.

If you know me, then you know that I'm absolutely in favour of the LTS
versions! It's good to have more LTS releases. All I'm saying is that
this will give us even less feedback than already now. We should be
aware of it, and think for other ways to gain feedback...

>> If we want to increase adoption, then I think the naming and the
>> versioning must be clear for everyone. Right now I think it is too
>> complicated:
>>
>> - The name "EAR" needs explanation. Why is it needed at all? There is
>> the LTS and non-LTS - so why is it needed to add a tag which nobody
>> understands?
>
> This is the version that evolves constantly. Not a non-LTS version, but
> one that gets functional updates quickly.

Call it snapshot, whatever. I only think that "EAR" will raise confusion...

>> - The version numbering is too complicated. It needs too much
>> explanation for my taste. Just have a look at the news article in the
>> German PHP Magazin [1] which first needed a correction by Ernesto...
>
> What is your suggestion?
> 7.0 EAR -> 7.1 EAR -> .... -> 7 LTS (internally 7.23.0 or 7.999.0 if we
> opt for a fixed minor version) -> 7 LTS (internally 7.x.1)
> 8.0 EAR -> and so on...

I suggest to look out for other projects and how they are solving
identical problems. I feel uncomfortable with TYPO3 baking their own
solution once more...

>> feedback from agencies has been brought back so far. In my opinion, we
>> should not only discuss this from a programmers point of view but also
>> ask the agencies about their expectations. As a suggestion, you might
>> talk to the marketing team about it. I think they know best how well
>> this will be received by the public...
>
> Maybe just ask agencies directly? I guess that agencies are "the
> public". They sell the LTS versions to their clients.

I agree!

Greetings, Michael