[TYPO3-core] After the LTS is before the LTS

Jigal van Hemert jigal.van.hemert at typo3.org
Thu Jun 26 16:52:08 CEST 2014

Hi,

On 26-6-2014 15:23, Michael Stucki wrote:
> I understand the effort for trying to gain more feedback, but I am not
> sure if it will work. Why should it? With new LTS releases every 18
> months, I would rather say that even more people will only use the LTS.
>
> More use of LTS means fewer feedback from non-LTS releases. Unlike
> before, we won't get feedback about a 6 month old release, instead it
> will be up to 18 months old. Prove me wrong...

As far as I've understood there will only be LTS releases (no 6-months
releases) and the EAR (please find a better name!) snapshots.

The desire for LTS versions (at least with agencies) is evident as we
see that 66% of the 4.5+ installations uses an LTS version.

> If we want to increase adoption, then I think the naming and the
> versioning must be clear for everyone. Right now I think it is too
> complicated:
>
> - The name "EAR" needs explanation. Why is it needed at all? There is
> the LTS and non-LTS - so why is it needed to add a tag which nobody
> understands?

This is the version that evolves constantly. Not a non-LTS version, but
one that gets functional updates quickly.

> - The version numbering is too complicated. It needs too much
> explanation for my taste. Just have a look at the news article in the
> German PHP Magazin [1] which first needed a correction by Ernesto...

What is your suggestion?
7.0 EAR -> 7.1 EAR -> .... -> 7 LTS (internally 7.23.0 or 7.999.0 if we
opt for a fixed minor version) -> 7 LTS (internally 7.x.1)
8.0 EAR -> and so on...

> feedback from agencies has been brought back so far. In my opinion, we
> should not only discuss this from a programmers point of view but also
> ask the agencies about their expectations. As a suggestion, you might
> talk to the marketing team about it. I think they know best how well
> this will be received by the public...

Maybe just ask agencies directly? I guess that agencies are "the
public". They sell the LTS versions to their clients.

--
Jigal van Hemert
TYPO3 CMS Active Contributor

TYPO3 .... inspiring people to share!