[TYPO3-core] After the LTS is before the LTS

Ernesto Baschny ernesto.baschny at typo3.org
Mon Jun 23 23:09:54 CEST 2014

Hi dear TYPO3 community,

the TYPO3 CMS team is discussing about the release cycles of this
product after the 6.2 LTS release. We learned from the past and wanted
to improve the release process for everybody involved: developers,
active contributors, agencies, customers. To allow everbody to
participate actively in shaping the future of the CMS releases, we want
to give the opportunity for everyone to join the discussion around the
future of the TYPO3 CMS releases.

Shortly after the 6.2 LTS Release the Active Contributors meeting in
Nürnberg gave the team the opportunity to do a retrospective not only on
the 6.2 release process, but also analyse the transition from 4.5 LTS to
6.2 LTS in general, and what happened in between. The reflection
culiminated in the first ideas on how to proceed from now on. From the
initial brainstorming we decided to sketch the new ideas in a conceptual
study - in a blueprint. Since then the team has been improving and
communicating about it.

We are now eager to hear everybodys opinion on the new plan, as it might
rise some questions. If you are actively interested in working with
TYPO3 CMS in the next couple of years, have commercial or private
interest in help improving the product, please consider take some time
to think and tell us what you expect.

During the TYPO3 Developer Days 2014 in Eindhoven it became clear that
the TYPO3 CMS contributors are still alive and kicking and new ideas
spreading. An active and vivid exchange with the TYPO3 Flow and Neos
teams is happening. The motto "one family, two products" is the current
tenor. We expect that TYPO3 CMS will continue getting improvements in
the next few years, as long as there is still interest by the public and
contributors working on it.

Please read the Blueprint [1], form your opinion or question and post
your opinion here on this thread. Your positive or negative feedback, or
question or doubt is very welcome.

Let's work on that together!

Kind regards,
Ernesto