[TYPO3-core] After the LTS is before the LTS

Xavier Perseguers xavier at typo3.org
Mon Jul 28 09:48:06 CEST 2014

Hi,

> [...]
>
> After the release of a LTS version (and maybe after a short
> stabilization phase), the Documentation Team creates branches for all
> maintained manuals so that news features can start being added. However
> the documentation is "developed" continuously until the next LTS
> release, i.e. the Doc Team would not try to have the documentation ready
> at each EAR release. I would imagine marking the documentation as 7.x,
> then mark it as 7.23 (to keep in line with the example in the blueprint)
> once the LTS release happens.

I don't really get the rationale for tagging it (= the documentation) as
7.23. I mean, 7.x means work in progress for something that is not yet
released. This is currently named "latest" (aka bleeding-edge). "7" is
the actual version that should be put forward in discussion, so I'd go
for renaming "latest" to "7" once doc is considered stable and not show
any ".23" or whatever minor version here.

This is documentation, we want to refer to future TYPO3 versions as "7
LTS", "8 LTS", "9 LTS" and so on, intermediate versions are WIP for the
next one. Having "latest" (or another name if you prefer, such as EAR to
be in line with Core releases) and marking it as "7", "8" or possibly
"7-lts", "8-lts" would look much more natural to me.

Maybe I missed something in the reasoning of having a version "7.23" for
the documentation though. Then please shed some light. Thanks.

Cheers
Xavier

--
Xavier Perseguers