[TYPO3-core] After the LTS is before the LTS

Ernesto Baschny [cron] ernst at cron-it.de
Sun Jul 27 22:37:16 CEST 2014

Am 2014-07-27 21:40, schrieb François Suter:
> Hi Ernesto (and all),
>
>> Please take a closer look at it, as we will start to vote on that pretty
>> soon.
>
> The blueprint has matured nicely and the proposal looks good. I have
> been thinking about the impact for documentation. I would propose the
> following (not yet discussed inside the Documentation Team):
>
> After the release of a LTS version (and maybe after a short
> stabilization phase), the Documentation Team creates branches for all
> maintained manuals so that news features can start being added. However
> the documentation is "developed" continuously until the next LTS
> release, i.e. the Doc Team would not try to have the documentation ready
> at each EAR release. I would imagine marking the documentation as 7.x,
> then mark it as 7.23 (to keep in line with the example in the blueprint)
> once the LTS release happens.
>
> So the Doc Team would try to keep as up to date as possible during the
> development process, but would really polish things (and create new
> documentations branches) only for the actual LTS versions.
>
> Does that sound reasonable?

Hi Francois,

that's perfectly reasonable. I am pretty sure this is a good path to
follow. The documentation for the "7 branch" has to evolve as agile as
the code, so "step by step", and finalized for the LTS release. Fits
perfectly well.

Documentation (features, breaking changes, deprecations) is so important
for this new release cycles, that improvements for it is part of the
blueprint as you might have seen. We have already implemented a sample
on how this new documentation will look like:

https://review.typo3.org/#/c/31853/

And here is how it looks like when rendered with Sphinx:

http://schwarzbu.ch/docu/Howto.html

Pretty cool, isn't it? This is just a kick-start, there might be some
other aspects needed to polish this. The idea is to use this
documentation for automatically (or semiautomatically) creating:

- release notes
- upgrade guides (migration guides)
- potentially input for a "automatic migration"
- display information in the Install Tool (while upgrading)
- provide easy snippets for the documentation team to take over in the
official docs
- etc...

Cheers,
Ernesto