[TYPO3-core] Conditions for Extbase Backend Module TS-Configuration really needed?

Ernesto Baschny ernesto.baschny at typo3.org
Wed Jan 29 13:38:54 CET 2014

Helmut Hummel schrieb am 29.01.2014 11:58:

> I created a patch that caches TS for Extbase Backend modules in a very
> simple way. The downside would be that introducing this cache only the
> TS-conditions valid (if any) during the cache population would be
> respected. Later calls to fetch the configuration would return
> stacically cached TS.
>
> My question basically is: Did anybody use TS conditions to configure
> Extbase BE-Modules dynamically? Do we desperately need something like this?
>
> I'm not saying that it might not be useful for some edge case, but the
> cost for that is very high performance wise.
>
> I'm happy to hear your opinions on that topic.

I am also convinced that since it used to work with conditions before
(never tried it, but now see several reports of it), we should not throw
away that feature.

Felix's started with an alternative solution, which AFAIK will respect
conditions, because it builds up a working TSFE and calls the "start()"
on the template rendering, which in itself does the regular process of
rendering TypoScript, but also respecting conditions and caching:

https://review.typo3.org/#/c/26618/

Your solution would be to only do the "parsing" of TypoScript in do the
caching on your own (also simplifying the code and minimizing
side-effects), but then dropping support for the conditions:

https://review.typo3.org/#/c/26876/

I agree that the start() method is pretty unintuitive about side-effects
and required pre-conditions are difficult to track. But at least it's
"working code" (also regarding invalidating caches when something
changes) and could be used as a basis for this functionality in Extbase
backend modules.

Cheers,
Ernesto

--