[TYPO3-core] Raise MySQL requirements?

Michael Stucki michael.stucki at typo3.org
Wed Jan 8 14:54:29 CET 2014

Hi Jigal,

> According to Oracle Lifetime Support Policy [1] the Premier Support has
> ended for MySQL 5.1. It's also mentioned on the Reference Manual page
> [2] as "End of Product Lifecycle" that "Active development for MySQL
> Database Server version 5.1 has ended".
>
> On the Ubuntu 13.10 distribution I installed last weekend MySQL 5.6 was
> installed by default through the package manager.

Are you sure? I have 13.10 too but MySQL is 5.5.34 (see also [1]).

> Maybe it's time to raise the requirements?
>
> Lower limit.
> It might be the case that some LTS distributions still ship with MySQL
> 5.1, so we should keep that perhaps? (As a side note: MySQL jumped from
> 5.1 to 5.5, so 5.2, 5.3 or 5.4 never existed)

Right. We had a similar discussion recently regarding PHP requirements,
and the agreement was to stay compatible with various LTS products [2].

Currently, there is RHEL 6.5 which still ships with MySQL 5.1 [3]. This
means we still have to wait...

> Upper limit.
> Latest versions are 5.6.15, 5.5.35 (5.7.x are still "Milestone"
> releases). Maybe it's time for 6.2 to also support 5.6.x?

Here I agree, the compatibility with 5.6 should be checked and (if
necessary) be fixed. However, out of the 4 LTS products mentioned above,
all are using either 5.1 or 5.5. Not even Ubuntu uses 5.6 yet.

Besides that, I'm wondering why you want to raise the requirement? Is
there any feature of MySQL 5.5 that you like to use in TYPO3 CMS? Right
now we're using a very basic feature set, so why change it?

One more thing: We should think about MariaDB support too. Has anyone
ever tried that yet? It is almost completely compatible with MySQL,
however their version number was raised to 10.x which is no longer in
sync with MySQL. See [4] for more info.

If it turns out that TYPO3 runs fine with MariaDB, then we should allow
it similar like we require just one of either ImageMagick or
GraphicsMagick...

Greetings, Michael

[1] http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=mysql
[2]