[TYPO3-core] Removing feature of compressing and merging external files

Stefan Neufeind typo3.neufeind at speedpartner.de
Tue Jan 7 21:00:43 CET 2014

On 01/07/2014 08:54 PM, Helmut Hummel wrote:

> On 07.01.14 16:34, Jigal van Hemert wrote:
>
>> Integrator wants to reduce the number of included files,
>
> Reducing still would work without this feature. Reducing it to 1 file
> when an external file is specified of course not.
>
>> extensions include the external files.
>
> This is indeed something I have not thought of.
>
>> How do you propose that the integrator
>> solves this without hiring someone to hack the extension?
>
> So this integrator uses an extension which does not have the possibility
> to control what assets are included? Don't you think this is a missing
> feature in this extension?
>
> My point is that, why would you specify a file in an external location
> and want to have it transferred to a local installation and not download
> the file and put it where you like to have it.
>
> Another point: Removing this feature makes the code easier and faster
> and what "breaks" is not the frontend page but only having one or two
> additional requests to a CDN for a frontend page.

Originally I just wanted to mention that besides your view of the world
there are usecases for it and people might (try) to use it. Well,
actually there is one cornercase (reason of the patch) in which it fails
- so nobody would have been able to use that combination :-)

Thinking about it further, I think we might be able to change it
("removing a feature" after feature-freeze *joking*). I'd be open for
that - especially also taking into account the complexity /
speed-penalty you mention.

But for previous releases imho we still need a bugfix anyway.

Kind regards,
 Stefan