[TYPO3-core] Removing feature of compressing and merging external files

Xavier Perseguers xavier at typo3.org
Tue Jan 7 14:07:26 CET 2014

Hi,

> It also enables being able to serve just one JS file for your end users without having to import the file manually in case it’s updated on the remote server.
>
> One problem we’ve experienced though is that it can hurt performance when the remote server is slow, but at least the opportunity is nice to have and then it’s of course up to the implementer if this way is desired or not.

Exactly. And if you want such use case, I'd say (nowadays) that you
should take care of doing the fetch yourself one way or the other and
let TYPO3 then consider your "external" file as any other local file.

If the external server is slow or down (!) then your website is
impacted, this is definitely not good, there are best practices nowadays
to e.g., use a local version of jQuery if cdn is not available, this
should be the option to go and if you really want to
concatenate/compress then fetch it using some scheduler task on a
regular basis and then consider it as local.

Best regards

--
Xavier Perseguers
TYPO3 CMS Team Member