[TYPO3-core] FileUpload conflict handling

Markus Klein klein.t3 at mfc-linz.at
Thu Feb 27 16:25:25 CET 2014

Hi!

Since this is a bit scattered now, I'll sum up again.

The following parameters play a role when uploading files:
* file name
* file content
* storage
* folder within storage

Basic question for me: Is FAL intended to do asset management too?
This question is relevant for answering the question, if two files are the same. Criteria might be:
a) Same name (classical file system)
b) Same content (asset management)
c) Same content AND same name

When is an upload considered a "overwrite", or "when does a file already exist"?
* If a) applies this is just like any file system: A file is existing if it is present in the target folder (and therefore storage) already.
* If b) or c) applies, we have to ask:
     * Existing in the current storage?
     * Existing in the target folder (and therefore storage)?
     * Existing globally in all storages?

Depending on what FAL aims to be and answering the questions above, we can decide what action is trigged if a user choses to Overwrite or Rename if a file exists.

Kind regards
Markus

Markus Klein
TYPO3 CMS Active Contributors Team Member

2) Uploading existing files
When a file with an existing filename is uploaded and conflict mode isn't set to override, I think the system should check if the content of the old and new file are the same (compare there hashes).  When they are the same the system should handle the upload as succesfull (maybe with a different log message in system log then a normal succesfull upload).