[TYPO3-core] Reverting patches

Ernesto Baschny ernesto.baschny at typo3.org
Thu Feb 27 11:36:47 CET 2014

Markus Klein schrieb am 26.02.2014 22:26:

> Since I stumbled over quite some reverted patches in the last days and it was not always to figure out what relationship was between the revert, the original patch, the tickets involved etc.
> I decided to create a small guideline on how this process should happen and what information a revert should contain.
>
> I took the freedom to add this directly to these pages:
> http://wiki.typo3.org/Contribution_Walkthrough_with_CommandLine#Reverting_patches
> http://wiki.typo3.org/CommitMessage_Format_%28Git%29#Reverting_patches
>
> I looking forward to your comments and additions.
> Thanks you.

Good idea Markus, and nice text!

I would also like - as we decided some time ago - that the revert commit
message should not only contain the subject, reverted commit hash and
the issue tags, but also a short explanation why it was reverted. This
makes it easier to understand what's going on when just reading over the
commit messages.

We also had some reference reverts which were then also brought as a
thread to discussion in this list, but I like and prefer your idea of
having a dedicated issue on forge for it, then discussions about it
could go there for whoever is interested.

In order to make the commit appear in the issue, the "revert issue" has
to be created before hand. In your list of "todos" when reverting
patches, you might want to mention this as the first step before hitting
the revert button in Gerrit:

* Create an issue on forge explaining the problems with the original
commit and the reason for the revert

So +1 on my side on that!

Cheers,
Ernesto