[TYPO3-core] Turn off TravisCI posts to this list

Christian Kuhn lolli at schwarzbu.ch
Sun Feb 2 13:14:56 CET 2014

Hey.

On 02/02/2014 12:47 PM, Stefan Neufeind wrote:
> If something is really broken I'm fine with the messages.
>
> So what worries me more is why we have lately been getting those
> messages and whether it was a fault or what broke there ...

Some areas in core like FAL patches still tend to break unit tests, and
with current merge ratio it can take some merges until the build is
green again. In this time travis will post for every broken follow-up
merge. That is why it is so noisy currently, it will be lower again
after sprint I guess.

I also see that having a bot posting to this list may lower the value of
mails in here a bit because of noise, otoh it is very good to raise
awareness for failed builds, especially if we are not in a sprint, but
if that happens during the week or when activity is lower.

In general I think the posts are a good idea, especially if they are in
a place every active contributor actually reads them. It also forces
devs to execute test suite more often before pushing patches, just to
not risk having his/her name in the travis post here in the list if it
breaks. In general, all that is good.

With the ongoing process of stabilising and removing dependencies in
unit tests, we will probably also see less broken builds in long term.

Furthermore, having these posts here is a clear statement by the team
that we do not accept broken builds for longer times and that automatic
testing is an important topic for us and that we take care.

At the moment failing builds are fixed very quickly, I really like that,
in the past it was a much smaller group of people taking care of that
topic, since it was more easy to ignore travis.

All in all, from quality point of view, I'm for staying with the current
configuration of travis.

Regards
Christian