[TYPO3-core] (New) TYPO3 CMS Vision

bernd wilke t3ng at bernd-wilke.net
Wed Aug 27 08:57:39 CEST 2014

Am 26.08.14 21:14, schrieb Philipp Gampe:
> Hi Michael,
>
> Michael Stucki wrote:
>
>> My wish is that we can agree on the direction and accept one or the
>> other inconsistency and detour that exists in TYPO3 CMS. Instead, the
>> focus should be put on features which serve the operators, integrators,
>> editors who are working with TYPO3 today and for the next few years..
>
> To my knowledge, contributors are working on there free time on issues. They
> do what pleases them. Therefore any vision can only be:
> Would be cool to have X.
>
> Whether or not someone picks that up, is up to the contributors.
>
> Just because some contributors feel responsible to work on not so easy
> features, does not make any predefined vision authoritative.
> If a vision is enforced, many contributions are lost.

if you have no common goal there is the danger of getting a big pile of
bricks which does not fit together. therefore a authority is good to lay
out a line and cut of projects which does not fit (yet).
you may need no authority as long as all members agree on the goal and
work together to build up a unique software. once the members split up
and drive on just their own enhancements the software may split up and
get distorted. other software projects have done a fork and separate
softwares evolve.
as our authority Casper has abdicated the association as a democracy may
replace it. this may need to improve the current infrastructure for
voting about decisions. but I think the association is able to set a
goal and to support it with resources so also unliked but neccessary
task should be done.

> Disclaimer: I agree that it is good to have list of issues, attached with
> some priorities. However making certain visions authoritative reduces the
> importance and value of other contributions.

you can not acceppt every conrtibution otherwise single contributions
could break the software for everyone else.
you need to agree on a common goal where every contribution must fit in.
and sometimes you need to rebuild the core to glue everything together
in a more appropiate way. and this must be a task for everyone involved.
you can not build a skyscraper where everyone is allowed to build up his
storey but noone is willing to do the basement (or will enhance the
basement to carry all the ready build storeys)
and every story has to support a common infrastucture like lifts and
water supply otherwisethe building gets a maze of unusabilities.

bernd
--
http://www.pi-phi.de/cheatsheet.html