[TYPO3-core] (New) TYPO3 CMS Vision

Franz Holzinger franz at ttproducts.de
Mon Aug 25 14:05:36 CEST 2014

Hello Michael,

On 16/08/2014 01:17, Michael Stucki wrote:
>> I would keep the TYPO3 CMS backend, drop CMS frontend support and use Neos
>> for Frontend Editing. I guess Neos would need some work to fully work on
>> custom models (CMS tables), but it should be doable. The CMS backend would
>> need some love to read and edit content repository contents.
>
> Uhm... I haven't heard anyone requesting such a feature, so why do you
> think we should work on it?
>
> I wouldn't object if this was a small and useful feature, but what you
> suggest sounds like rewriting Neos in TYPO3 CMS. What's the point of that?
>
> I would like to point out again how I feel about our current situation.
> We have two products: TYPO3 Neos, which is very young and has a
> promising future, and TYPO3 CMS,  which supplies our daily business for
> the time being. It will take some more time for Neos to become a main
> supplier. Until then, we should be very careful about TYPO3 CMS...
>
> I have elaborated on this a while ago on the following post. Please take
> some time to read it, and let me know what you think:
> http://stucki.tumblr.com/post/49482555659/my-thoughts-about-the-future-of-typo3-cms

Under the link above have written these sentences:

"With TYPO3 Neos, many of the good concepts of TYPO3 CMS will survive,
while the old stuff will be dropped off."
"The situation that I am describing is pretty confortable for all of us.
We have a solid product to work with, whereas we can freely choose the
time when we start working with TYPO3 Neos…"
"What is it that keeps you from contributing to TYPO3 Neos instead?"

Here is my answer:

There is one big problem which you not seem to have considered yet.
The existing TYPO3 extensions do not execute under TYPO3 Neos. And it
costs too much money and time to modify them to run under TYPO3 Flow or
to rewrite all those extensions from scratch. And also the former
versions of TYPO3 4.5 must still be supported. So an extension must
support at least about the 5 years of a TYPO3 development time span:
TYPO3 4.5, 6.2 and TYPO3 NEOS. A developer cannot afford to develop many
versions  of his extension at the same time. And he cannot drop older
versions.
Therefore one version of an extension must be written in a way, so it
can run under multiple versions of TYPO3 at the same time.

Because TYPO3 4.5 is still supported until 2015 (End of maintenance
currently 2015-03), therefore he has to support his extension until
2018, because most users will demand this from him. So an extension
developer won't invest any further time to even think about TYPO3 NEOS
and FLOW before the year 2018. And TYPO3 NEOS seems to be not demanded
by any users. And it is impossible to search for TYPO3 NEOS under
Google, because you only find issues for the TYPO3 CMS. You chose a
naming which leads to big troubles if you need an internet search
engine. And TYPO3 NEOS/FLOW seems to have no support for extensions
running under TYPO3 4.5. Why should somebody invest time on this?

Therefore I will always stay with TYPO3 CMS and I will always avoid
TYPO3 NEOS.

- Franz