[TYPO3-core] (New) TYPO3 CMS Vision

Gernot Schulmeister gernotschulmeister at gmx.at
Sun Aug 17 19:56:34 CEST 2014

Also me I am for unifying the forces of TYPO3 CMS and NEOS on the long run in one product or if not to separate the market orientation of the two products as clearly as possible so that the decision for the customers, developers and users is very easy to choose the right product according to the situation and requirements.

I think for the vision of TYPO3 additional functions are maybe even not so important. Functions can always be added if requested and necessary.

My first approach to a vision of TYPO3 contains beside the above mentioned following points:

1. I would like to see the TYPO3 backend and frontend really, really quick and performant. Maybe Google search results could serve here as reference.

2. Since we all earn our money with TYPO3 and TYPO3 is therefore the financial basis of our lifes we will all appreciate if it stays like this. But maybe TYPO3 here is not even so important, more important is to keep the financial basis for our lives with our knowledge and know how. Therefore I think we should do some market researches, try to make new coorperations and break what will be for the one or the other a mental barrier. With this I mean for example we should ask ourselves why are other open source CMS more popular than TYPO3? At the moment I speak here especially of Wordpress, Joomla and Drupal. We should look what kind of features those CMS have that TYPO3 maybe also needs. We should try to answer the questions, why there are more extensions and contributors in those CMS, how is the architecture, how the teams work together and how is there the organisation. We should also try to cooperate with those CMS for example by attending their events and inviting them to TYPO3 events if they are interested in order to make the cake even bigger. There are enough common fields which are interesting for everyone like security, usability, performance, testing, development, release process or architecture where we can exchange knowledge and know how.

3. We should also not forget to have a look on other programming languages and technologies, so that TYPO3 cannot be replaced by other new products so easily.

4. We should make market opening innovations which will provide TYPO3 more jobs, contributors, projects and popularity. Regarding this I have the vision to provide TYPO3 with a very simple frontend and backend surface which works also easily on smart phones with a very small bandwith or temporarily no internet connection at all. If we succeed in this, we could reach the huge markets in the third world countries. The villages, schools, hospitals and other organisations and companies in Africa, India, or in the Rain forest of Brasil could use TYPO3 for providing information on their websites.

These are my suggestions and thoughts but for me it is not even important how the concrete vision of TYPO3 looks like and if we ever reach the goals. More important is that all the teams and contributors support the "to be defined" vision of TYPO3. So there could be the strategy that the way is the target and on this way a lot of nice and useful TYPO3 versions with concrete features are released :-)

best regards

Gernot