[TYPO3-core] (New) TYPO3 CMS Vision

Michael Stucki michael.stucki at typo3.org
Sat Aug 16 01:17:17 CEST 2014

Hi Philipp, hi all!

> I would keep the TYPO3 CMS backend, drop CMS frontend support and use Neos
> for Frontend Editing. I guess Neos would need some work to fully work on
> custom models (CMS tables), but it should be doable. The CMS backend would
> need some love to read and edit content repository contents.

Uhm... I haven't heard anyone requesting such a feature, so why do you
think we should work on it?

I wouldn't object if this was a small and useful feature, but what you
suggest sounds like rewriting Neos in TYPO3 CMS. What's the point of that?

Here's a thought: Why do you want to spend your energy for projects like
this in TYPO3 CMS instead of doing it the other way around and
contribute your plans to TYPO3 Neos?

> All technical details should be shifted to Flow mostly. Bootstrapping will
> be the most difficult details and will not quite some work and lots of
> thinking.
>
> After trying it out, we will be a lot smarter ;)

I'm fine with whatever experiments you like to do. Just don't do add it
to TYPO3 CMS unless it is 99% stable and covers 100% of the existing
features. Since we use Git, that shouldn't be a problem. You can work on
a fork and merge the changes back when the feature is ready...

The thing is just that there have been too many improvements which
turned out to be incomplete replacements of existing features.
Improvements like this don't add much value to the product. What we need
are new features, not rewrites of existing stuff. I would love to see
some killer features in TYPO3 CMS, something that everyone wants.

I would like to point out again how I feel about our current situation.
We have two products: TYPO3 Neos, which is very young and has a
promising future, and TYPO3 CMS,  which supplies our daily business for
the time being. It will take some more time for Neos to become a main
supplier. Until then, we should be very careful about TYPO3 CMS...

I have elaborated on this a while ago on the following post. Please take
some time to read it, and let me know what you think:
http://stucki.tumblr.com/post/49482555659/my-thoughts-about-the-future-of-typo3-cms

Greetings, Michael