[TYPO3-core] Browser version support for next LTS

Philipp Gampe philipp.gampe at typo3.org
Tue Aug 12 19:20:57 CEST 2014

Hi all,

I hope you all are having happy holidays.

Inspired by Microsoft latest move [1], I would once a gain start the browser
support discussion ;)

As the next LTS will not be released before 2016 (two years from now), I
suggest we move ahead with the master branch (to be next LTS) and support
only IE 11+.
Frankly, Vista and Server 2008 R2 will only receive IE 9. I don't think that
2008 R2 matters for use. Vista will run out in April 2017 and is rarely used
in the enterprise sector.

Next to that, I fully support the Google approach of supporting the latest
two releases of each product. [2]

What do you think?

[1] http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ie/archive/2014/08/07/stay-up-to-date-with-internet-explorer.aspx
[2] https://support.google.com/a/answer/33864?hl=en