[TYPO3-core] What property types should the ExtensionBuilder provide

Nicolas de Haen typo3 at ndh-websolutions.de
Fri Apr 11 10:48:27 CEST 2014

Hi,

the ExtensionBuilder is almost ready for the next TER release.
Now I just want to clean up the list of available property types for
domain objects and it seems difficult to decide which types should be
supported.

First we have the FAL related propertie, which are not really integrated
in Extbase. We have several FAL related Extbase models which are
"experimental" since 1 1/2 year now. Is there any plan or strategy what
will happen with them?

At the moment we have these properties in the EB
File
FileReference
Image
Folder

My suggestion would be (foreign table in brackets):

Image 		sys_file_reference
File 		sys_file_reference
FileCollection 	sys_file_collection

What about:
FolderBasedFileCollection or StaticFileCollection ?

For Date/Time related properties we have:

Date 		int
DateTime	int
NativeDate 	Date
NativeDateTime 	DateTime
Time 		int
TimeSec 	int

It's obvious that the Native Date formats should be "default" but should
we keep the others? There might be use cases where you want a timestamp
in the database but a Date field in backend forms.
My suggestion would be:

Date 			Date
DateTime 		DateTime
Date (timestamp) 	int
DateTime (timestamp) 	int
Time 			int
TimeSec 		int

And finally:

we have the property type Float which is in fact a double since the TCA
does not support the type float. It only has a type 'double2' which
means: "Converts the input to a floating point with 2 decimal positions"

At the moment property type float results in a column of type double(11,2).

Is there any reason why float is not supported in TCA?

Should we rename the property then to Double instead Float or offer both
types and create the appropriate database columns?

Thanks for feedback!

Nico

--
Nico de Haen