[TYPO3-core] TYPO3 releases compatibility with PHP, MySQL and Browsers

Kay Strobach typo3 at kay-strobach.de
Sun Sep 8 01:04:24 CEST 2013

+1 for removing hacks inkl. IE8!
If it works fine - if not, it's the users / administrators fault.

Regards
Kay

Am 07.09.13 08:14, schrieb Steffen Ritter:
> Am 06.09.13 23:22, schrieb Ernesto Baschny [cron IT]:
>> What's your opinion on that? Should we drop IE8 support for 6.2 LTS and
>> go straight for IE9 considering the downwards trend of it's market share
>> (and TYPO3 4.5 still being supported until end of 2014 for those who
>> care...)?
>
> Microsoft ends support for Windows XP in April 2014 (after supporting it
> for over 10 years)[1]
>
> Google dropped support for IE8 comppletely on Nov. 8th 2012[2].
>
> According to Microsofts product LifeCycle page[3] the Internet Explorer
> Versions are supported as long as the products they are bundled with are
> supported.
>
> So let's see where IE8 is bundled:
>  - Windows XP with Service Pack 2 (see above)
>  - Windows Vista first Release - end of mainstream support  April 2012
>  - Windows Vista SP 1 - end of mainstream Support: April 2012
>
> As of then all later products shipped IE9. Windows Vista and therefore
> IE8 has extended Support until 2017. According to [4] that means it
> receives critical security fixes, you can hire MS to give support, and
> the product is not removed from knowledge base.
>
> Assuming that most businesses directly will go from Windows XP to
> Windows 7 (like TYPO3 CMS 4.5 to 6.2) and the fact that Microsoft ended
> its unpayed support already I come to the conclusion, that there is no
> business value in keeping support for IE8 in TYPO3 Backend until 2016.
>
> regards
>
> Steffen
>

> [1] http://www.microsoft.com/de-de/windows/byebyexp/default.aspx
> [2]
> http://googleappsupdates.blogspot.co.uk/2012/09/supporting-modern-browsers-internet.html
>
> [3] http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/search/default.aspx
> [4] http://support.microsoft.com/gp/lifepolicy/de

TYPO3 .... inspiring people to share!
Get involved: http://typo3.org

Answer was useful - feel free to donate:
  -
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=KPM9NAV73VDF2
  - https://flattr.com/profile/kaystrobach