[TYPO3-core] TYPO3 releases compatibility with PHP, MySQL and Browsers

Steffen Ritter steffen.ritter at typo3.org
Sat Sep 7 08:14:26 CEST 2013

Am 06.09.13 23:22, schrieb Ernesto Baschny [cron IT]:
> What's your opinion on that? Should we drop IE8 support for 6.2 LTS and
> go straight for IE9 considering the downwards trend of it's market share
> (and TYPO3 4.5 still being supported until end of 2014 for those who
> care...)?

Microsoft ends support for Windows XP in April 2014 (after supporting it
for over 10 years)[1]

Google dropped support for IE8 comppletely on Nov. 8th 2012[2].

According to Microsofts product LifeCycle page[3] the Internet Explorer
Versions are supported as long as the products they are bundled with are
supported.

So let's see where IE8 is bundled:
  - Windows XP with Service Pack 2 (see above)
  - Windows Vista first Release - end of mainstream support  April 2012
  - Windows Vista SP 1 - end of mainstream Support: April 2012

As of then all later products shipped IE9. Windows Vista and therefore
IE8 has extended Support until 2017. According to [4] that means it
receives critical security fixes, you can hire MS to give support, and
the product is not removed from knowledge base.

Assuming that most businesses directly will go from Windows XP to
Windows 7 (like TYPO3 CMS 4.5 to 6.2) and the fact that Microsoft ended
its unpayed support already I come to the conclusion, that there is no
business value in keeping support for IE8 in TYPO3 Backend until 2016.

regards

Steffen

[1] http://www.microsoft.com/de-de/windows/byebyexp/default.aspx
[2]