[TYPO3-core] Moving Extensions out of the core into TER

Ernesto Baschny ernesto.baschny at typo3.org
Thu Sep 5 16:43:56 CEST 2013

Xavier Perseguers schrieb am 05.09.2013 11:45:
> Hi Michael,

>>> Would be fine with me as well. We should just ensure the migration step
>>> takes care of retrieving them from TER and we would be done.
>>
>> Please keep in mind, that not everyone will migrate from an old(er)
>> version but install TYPO3 the first time. Moving extensions from the
>> core to TER makes sense but also introduces a hurdle: you have to use
>> the EM to "activate" (install) certain features.
>>
>> Again, not a problem for experienced Integrators, but maybe an issue for
>> newbies.
>
> This is not relevant as having a few of those extensions out of Core
> would not make them part of the "feature set" of TYPO3 anymore. As such
> there is no need to activate them. If ones wants OpenID (let's say it is
> out of Core), then it is exactly the same process as integrating
> OpenLDAP authentication. Same for linkvalidator, this would be similar
> to installing additional_reports from TER.
>
> So the problem is solely for existing installs relying on some of these
> system extensions which would not be "system" anymore and should be
> fetched automatically to prevent a crash of the install.

I would *not* remove features from the core even if they are not
maintained anymore by moving them to the "global mass" in TER. From the
"marketing perspective" it makes no sense. It might be good for the
"package size" or for us core developers not having to take care of it
anymore, but to me as an outsider it sends a bad signal to the public.
TER extensions don't have the best reputation.

I would only endorse such move if this comes coupled with a concept of
"class A extensions in TER" which is a project / initiative we had for
years already which never took off.

Maybe after we start having "distributions" coming also from TER with
6.2 could solve this problem, in that a certain distribution simply
depends on certain "other extensions" which are then installed as a
dependency (i.e. in the Intro Package) and thus are somehow "endorsed"
by the core (but not maintained by them).

So unrealistic for 6.2 to remove them, but these kind of experiments
could start with the branch after that.

Kind regards,
Ernesto

--