[TYPO3-core] CGL, to dot or not to dot, this is the question

Jigal van Hemert jigal.van.hemert at typo3.org
Fri Oct 18 10:14:34 CEST 2013

Hi,

On 18-10-2013 9:13, Alexander Opitz wrote:
> again a CGL issue, this time about string splitting over lines. [1] [2]
>
> The CGL defines this at the end on the first line. In an review [3]
> Markus Klein wrote:
> "point at the start is best practice CGL for some time now. we use it
> everywhere. If this is still in the CGL, +1 for changing it."
>
> As I prefer this myself and it would align with multiline for conditions
> [4], but didn't see this yet elsewhere in TYPO3 and in last discussion
> [5] it was omitted, TYPO3 FLOW follows TYPO3 CMS [6], my question is now:
>
> If we split a string, should we put the dot on the end of first line or
> on start of next line?

1. Changing it means a lot of changes. Not only in the core, but also in
code sniffer (if it checks for that)
2. Flow CGL also puts it at the end of the first line [a]

Seems enough reasons to keep it like it is.

[a]
http://docs.typo3.org/flow/TYPO3FlowDocumentation/TheDefinitiveGuide/PartV/CodingGuideLines/PHP.html#strings

--
Jigal van Hemert