[TYPO3-core] Warnings in the Install tool

Jigal van Hemert jigal.van.hemert at typo3.org
Thu Oct 10 12:25:26 CEST 2013

Hi,

On 10-10-2013 11:44, Dmitry Dulepov wrote:
> I got some warnings in the TYPO3 install tool, which I consider to be
> incorrect. What do you think about warnings below?

In 6.2 the dummy package is not needed/supported anymore. The installer
can create the necessary directories and symlinks (no windows support
(yet) for this) to end up with a fully functional installation.

In 6.2 it's possible to update the core (no windows support (yet)) from
the Install Tool. It must be able to replace the symlink to the core
folder to do so.

> / is not writable
> Path /xxx/typo3master exists, but no file below can be created.
>
> /index.php is a link, but link target is not as specified
> Link target should be typo3_src/index.php but is ../yyy/index.php
>
> /typo3 is a link, but link target is not as specified
> Link target should be typo3_src/typo3 but is ../yyy/typo3
>
> /typo3_src should be a link, but it does not exist
> Links can not be fixed by this system
>
> Firsts, why should be the root of the site writable? It is not a error
> to have it write protected. Only certain directories should be writable
> by TYPO3 and not the root of the site.

It's needed to be able to create the necessary directories and symlinks.

> Next, TYPO3 is not required to have typo3_src as a symlink to the actual
> core location. typo3/ and index.php can point to the location directly.
> So this is not a error either.

With typo3_src as a symlink to the actual directory with core files the
Install Tool can perform a core update.

--
Jigal van Hemert
TYPO3 CMS Active Contributor