[TYPO3-core] Pushing a patch depending on another patch?

Peter Niederlag peter.niederlag at typo3.org
Wed Oct 9 14:40:46 CEST 2013

Hi,

On 09.10.2013 14:16, François Suter wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a Git-related question, trying to push patches for the TYPO3
> Core. I have pending patches A and B. B relies on A. A is already pushed
> to Gerrit. Now can I push B?
>
> My local clone is ahead of origin/master by 2 commits (A and B). If I just:
>
> git push origin HEAD:refs/for/master
>
> do A and B get both pushed and does only B (since A is already pushed)?
> I'm afraid of going ahead and having a very messy result :-\

A should *not* be pushed again. If it has a changeId it will be
identified. If the sha doesn't match the sha of A in gerrit a new
version of the patch will be created. If the sha matches "nothing" will
happen.

In reality this most likely depends on how you got A in there. It will
only work this way if it is really still the commit that you pushed or
you got there by 'checkout'. If you merge, cherry-pick or apply the
patch (of A) manually chances are high you add a new version of the
patch on the review queue.

Greets,
Peter