[TYPO3-core] The "correct" way to upgrade?

Markus Klein klein.t3 at mfc-linz.at
Fri Nov 22 12:41:15 CET 2013

Hi!

I just read the beta2 release article on typo3.org [1].

There it is recommended to upgrade in the following order:
1) "Important Actions" and delete the whole cache content (make sure this deletes the whole typo3temp/Caches/* files and also the content of Extbase Reflection Caches - do it manually if not working otherwise!)
2) "Important Actions": Use the "Database Analyser" and let it migrate the data structure
3) "Upgrade Wizards": Walk through all Upgrade Wizards

On the other hand the Upgrade Wizards suggest the Database Analyzer as the last step to run.
Moreover we got a bug report [2] that reports a problem when not running the Analyzer first.

So my question: Does the order matter?
In the sense of: Could the Analyzer delete fields that might be necessary to do proper migration in the Upgrade Wizards afterwards?

If this is the case, we have a chicken-egg-problem and we need a solution for this. One that comes to mind would be to ensure the proper table structure necessary for the wizards in the wizards themselves and let the Database Analyzer do the cleanup in the end.

Thanks for your feedback.

Kind regards
Markus

[1] http://typo3.org/news/article/typo3-cms-62-lts-beta2-released/