[TYPO3-core] Explaination of reverted patches and an appeal for review

Markus Klein klein.t3 at mfc-linz.at
Wed Nov 20 13:13:29 CET 2013

Dear contributors!

It has been quite a story last night.

Bernhard Kraft provided a patch [1], which is a great usability improvement. (pasting in page module in empty columns)
It was reviewed by Wouter and me and after testing we decided to merge it.

Unfortunately I didn’t run the functional tests locally (which is no excuse), but fortunately we have a great Travis system, which does. +1
It discovered a severe bug in combination with versioning/workspaces.

It took me several hours debugging the functional tests, but I finally saw the obvious thing and suggested a fix in [2].
But since the original patch involves changes in DataHandler, I finally decided to revert the original patch [3].

As a next step I split the original patch into two parts – since one part is just a Javascript change that actually fixes two things – and included my proposed fix.
These parts are now available at [4] (which should be easy) and [5] (which depends on [4]).

Since usability is also a goal for 6.2, I kindly ask you to review the patches [4] and [5].
And I kindly ask those experts on workspaces/DataHandler to have a look at [5] to make sure we don't break anything else.
Nevertheless, IMHO we should risk to merge this to give usability a chance, otherwise I fear we will never merge this patch [5].

Thanks a lot!

Kind regards
Markus

[1] https://review.typo3.org/22201