[TYPO3-core] Bypass version compatibility check in 6.2 extension manager

Xavier Perseguers xavier at typo3.org
Thu Nov 14 16:55:58 CET 2013

Hi,

> To me it's absoltly required to be able to ignore version constraints.

In fact, TYPO3 has always been developer-oriented and now this feature
is simply too much "end-user-who-knows-nothing-oriented".

I'm the first one asking for cleaning the TER and do everything I can to
get in touch with t3o team to make this a reality (not easy at all I
must say). This goes through preventing developers from uploading an
extension without providing tested dependencies and ideally trimming
down the list of available extensions to what is known to work (= within
dependency constraints) for a given user.

However, we should not forget about the reality and some real need. As a
developer, I have to test that an extension (mine or someone else's) is
compatible (or not) with another version of TYPO3 and adapt the code
accordingly, this goes through breaking the constraints and telling the
system "I know what I ask, just do it and stop complaining". If after
activating some flags to show unsupported extensions (because of TYPO3
version but also because of running PHP 5.5 whereas the extension is
known to work only up to 5.4.99), I should be able, as an administrator
(what I am anyway as I was granted access to the EM), to ignore the huge
warning and go on!

Current behavior, although "correct", does not work for testing an
extension on an upcoming version of TYPO3 or for edges cases where an
extension "could work" but is not officially supported anymore (for
instance). I'm fine having warnings, checkbox to tick to let me do that,
whatever, but I need to be able to do that without having to do some
really complicated (manual) operations such as downloading the extension
with a browser, unpacking it with some command line tools or older
install, changing ext_emconf.php and trying again.

Cheers

--
Xavier Perseguers
Release Manager TYPO3 4.6