[TYPO3-core] Second Meeting for TYPO3 6.2 LTS Release

Stefan Neufeind typo3.neufeind at speedpartner.de
Wed May 29 19:57:34 CEST 2013

On 05/27/2013 10:44 PM, Christian Kuhn wrote:
> Hey.
>
> On 05/27/2013 07:49 PM, Ernesto Baschny wrote:
>> But then Christian (who is the most prominent defender of "removing ugly
>> old code") was the one that brought int_from_ver into the talk and had
>> the idea to bring it back due to it's removal causing more pain than
>> benefits.
>>
>> But this was a punctual decision - which is still not final due to the
>> current discussion here.
>
> Thanks for your words Ernesto. I brought up int_from_ver because of its
> chicken-egg problem.
>
> An example of a working solution can be found in ext:news [1], and even
> Georg needed two or three iterations to get it done with all versions.
> BTW: Georgs utility class is very useful and I've already copied it to
> several own projects.
>
> Just re-adding this method (in 6.2, 6.1 with deprecation) to
> GeneralUtility will solve this specific chicken-egg issue and lowers the
> upgrade barrier for extensions at an important place. And it should be
> killed after 6.2 again.
>
> In general, I'm all for cleaning up and keeping the deprecation path we
> have set up. I don't want to re-introduce all the stuff we worked so
> hard to replace it with better API.

But can't we make a separate MigrationUtility or something then that
people needing/wanting compat with 4.5 and 6.2 could switch to? It could
contain functions that behave the same way under both versions. Those
extensions would have a clear dependency on a migration-extension. And
once people are ready to drop 4.5-compat they could drop the need to
activate the migration-utility as well.

The migration-part would just be there so that people don't need to /
don't dare to come up with their own compat-stuff.

I agree with the point that's already been brought up: Let's remove old
cruft - and even if it's "just a few functions" with "just a few LoC".

Regards,
 Stefan