[TYPO3-core] ReStructured Text in the TYPO3 backend

Jigal van Hemert jigal.van.hemert at typo3.org
Tue May 28 08:33:16 CEST 2013

Hi,

On 27-5-2013 22:17, Philipp Gampe wrote:
> Jigal van Hemert wrote:
>> Every time a big feature is merged just before feature freeze some
>> serious problem pops up and the original authors are on holiday, busy
>> with client projects, not available or otherwise in no way able to fix it.
>
> This is a bit different.

Every time it's a bit different. I'm not going to mention the specific
projects because that could be seen as criticism on the authors of the
project. I don't blame them, it's just that bringing big things into the
core just before feature freeze has so far proven to cause a lot of
problems. It's probably too big to properly test in the review. Only
during normal use problems seem to be noticed.

Therefore: release early and often.

> This time it would be an extension that can be
> tested in typo3conf/ext before being merged into typo3/sysext.

Don't expect too many people to actually do that. Only if it's included
in the core it will be used by most people.
The fact that it is a sysext is a bonus; if it isn't finished in a good
enough state before feature freeze then it's super easy to remove.

--
Jigal van Hemert
TYPO3 CMS Active Contributor

TYPO3 .... inspiring people to share!