[TYPO3-core] Second Meeting for TYPO3 6.2 LTS Release

Christian Kuhn lolli at schwarzbu.ch
Mon May 27 22:44:48 CEST 2013

Hey.

On 05/27/2013 07:49 PM, Ernesto Baschny wrote:
> But then Christian (who is the most prominent defender of "removing ugly
> old code") was the one that brought int_from_ver into the talk and had
> the idea to bring it back due to it's removal causing more pain than
> benefits.
>
> But this was a punctual decision - which is still not final due to the
> current discussion here.

Thanks for your words Ernesto. I brought up int_from_ver because of its
chicken-egg problem.

An example of a working solution can be found in ext:news [1], and even
Georg needed two or three iterations to get it done with all versions.
BTW: Georgs utility class is very useful and I've already copied it to
several own projects.

Just re-adding this method (in 6.2, 6.1 with deprecation) to
GeneralUtility will solve this specific chicken-egg issue and lowers the
upgrade barrier for extensions at an important place. And it should be
killed after 6.2 again.

In general, I'm all for cleaning up and keeping the deprecation path we
have set up. I don't want to re-introduce all the stuff we worked so
hard to replace it with better API.

My 2 cents
Christian

[1]