[TYPO3-core] Second Meeting for TYPO3 6.2 LTS Release

Jigal van Hemert jigal.van.hemert at typo3.org
Mon May 27 10:43:27 CEST 2013

Hi,

Re-introducing int_from_ver() (even as part of a compatibility
extension/layer) would create an odd gap in the compatibility of an
extension. If t3lib_div::int_from_ver() would be available again, this
would mean that an extension that uses is would work with 4.5, 4.6, 4.7,
6.0, 6.2, but *not* with 6.1 !?!? How can an extension author indicate
that dependency?

Also, a compatibility extension/layer which provides more old code would
need maintenance for the next 3 years after the release of 6.2.
Looking further in the future, why wouldn't we have an even more
extended compatibility extension/layer for the next LTS version that
keeps code working from 4.5? There is no end to this IMO.

Code needs all kinds of constructions to be compatible with a large
range of core versions. This is true, but the same is true if you want
to write code that is compatible with PHP 3, 4 and 5. You have to draw a
line somewhere and move on.
TER and EM do not work nicely with branches, but several extensions went
this way already. Others have simply said the version X is the last
version that supports core version N.

Another drawback of such a compatibility layer/extension is that it will
simply not encourage extension authors to move to new code. You can
simply "fix" the incompatibility by setting a dependency for this
extension (if it will be an extension).

We have incompatibility situations in various parts of the code and in
many cases there are solutions for that too. I would rather collect
these solutions and publish articles and instructions on how to
implement these solutions.

--
Jigal van Hemert
TYPO3 CMS Active Contributor