[TYPO3-core] Merged to core script enhancement

Ernesto Baschny ernesto.baschny at typo3.org
Fri May 24 12:26:04 CEST 2013

Hi,

the "merged to core" script [1] has got a new feature [2] today:

We can now see the commits which were later on *reverted* again. We've
had several cases of "reverting" buggy fixes in the past (usually when
we discover some regression). This allows to quickly be aware that an
already merged fix is not included anymore. To find that out in the past
required "manual investigation".

I use this opportunity to remind the contributors of the "policy" when
reverting something:

A "reversal" is a regular activity which *requires* an Issue in our
tracker *and* a proper explanation about the motivation of the reversal
in the commit message.

The issue in Forge is important so that we can discuss the change and
later on refer to "some" discussion platform. The issue should be linked
to the original issue which is being reverted, so that people watching
(or finding) the old issue get aware about this follow-up activity.

Another good idea is to have a "Related:" line in the commit message of
the reversal, referring to the issue being reverted (which would -
probably - also add this commit revision to the related issue).

Kind regards,
Ernesto

[1] http://www.typo3-anbieter.de/typo3-merges/
[2]