[TYPO3-core] RFC: CGL changes (closing php tag, multiline string concate)

Jigal van Hemert jigal.van.hemert at typo3.org
Wed May 22 20:49:12 CEST 2013

Hi,

On 22-5-2013 13:45, Alexander Opitz wrote:
> 1) Remove closing PHP Tag and add one empty line

This one comes up from time to time. There was no consensus during the
last discussion and there were no convincing reasons pro or against.

> 2) Change the multiline string concate from dot on last line to next
> line and remove the extra indentation.

This really doesn't solve any problem.

In general:
- CGL mainly has the purpose to have a constant style of code
formatting. This makes things easier to read
- changing things in the CGL results in quite a bit of labour: core code
needs to be changed and the code sniffer rules need to be adjusted

So, unless there is very good reason to change CGL there won't be a lot
of people enthusiastic about it.

At least a couple of the rules in the CGL I would have done differently
if I had to set it up, but the most important thing is that it gives us
a common code formatting that makes it easier to read and thus easier to
spot problems.

--
Jigal van Hemert
TYPO3 CMS Active Contributor