[TYPO3-core] Target Versions in TYPO3 CMS Issue Tracker

Ernesto Baschny ernesto.baschny at typo3.org
Tue May 21 18:11:09 CEST 2013

Hi,

Alexander Opitz schrieb am 21.05.2013 17:56:
> And btw.
>
> http://forge.typo3.org/projects/typo3v4-core/versions/2196
>
> the roadmap with category on the right side. (Yeah not fully what you
> think of ;-) )

Yes, I have seen that too. That's at least a good start, and might even
be enough in our case. Let's see!

>> You consult only the Release Notes [3] (or the git commit log).
>>
>> You cannot consult the issue tracker for this, because we don't actually
>> actively record this information there! For example, if you filter for
>> "Target Version = 6.0.5" and compare the list of issues actually
>> released [3] you will quickly notice that they are way out of sync (and
>> also several "not closed" issues along the way)!
>>
>> If you have a particular interest in a "bug" in specific ("was it
>> backported, and when?"), you can always consult the "merged in core"
>> script [4].

> You have the subject of the issue in the Release Notes, so you search in
> the issue tracker (which also isn't nice as you have 2 searchs with
> different possibilities). Every issue you find that might be your
> problem, you need to consult a second resource to find out if this might
> be fixed in a version of TYPO3 CMS you are using.

That's why I was meaning that we should integrate the information in
Forge. This cannot be handled by the "Target Version", but this could be
handled by a Widget in each issue displaying the "Merged into Branches"
information right at this place.

> From the view of a user (and not a developer) this second resource
> isn't communicated to you in the issue tracker so you are lost. And
> personally I don't like different places for one thing. Every time
> another layout, need to learn how that tool works and so on. So we have
> a big barrier for new users.

This is out of question, we don't need "another tool" for the same
thing, this is why I want to get rid of the Target Version for
patchlevel which just confuse people that expect that to hold valid
information.

I expect future release notes to contain direct links to the issues like
we did some times, i.e. here http://wiki.typo3.org/TYPO3_4.5.23

Then you the integrator can just click on the link and read about the
issue. Once the "merged into branch" widget is present, he can see right
away if the same issue was already solved in previous versions or if
there are reviews already open etc.

> Its the same problem with comments about code, and what should happen
> and so on laying around in gerrit, but that's another story.
>
> So the tools aren't perfect, but there aren't other who work better. ;)

Yes, but the information is there, just need to get it display in the
right position and get rid of "incorrect" information is also a way of
getting a better overview.

Seems that in the end we agree on the overall goal. :)

Cheers,
Ernesto

--
Ernesto Baschny