[TYPO3-core] ReStructured Text in the TYPO3 backend

Xavier Perseguers xavier at typo3.org
Tue May 21 09:29:20 CEST 2013

Hi,

> On 19-5-2013 21:50, François Suter wrote:
>> - provide local rendering facilities. This is possible as Xavier has
>> demonstrated with his "Sphinx" extension [1]. It requires to have Python
>> on the server and - of course - Sphinx installation won't work (again)
>> if the server is not connected to the Internet.
>
> Zeta components seems to offer ReST - XHTML conversion in their Document
> component [1]. I haven't looked at it yet, but if it works and if we can
> include it, it might be a all-PHP solution for showing manuals.

I had a quick look. It looks (and works) much more promising than the
"official" PHP parser that is a few years old and is less good at
understanding reST than the Zeta components.

However, I could not parse a TYPO3 manual "out-of-the-box" (but this is
quite tricky I must say) :)

> [...]
>> Anyway there needs to be some extension managing this: display, possibly
>> retrieval too. Would it be the Extension Manager? Or a separate
>> extension? Probably the latter is better, since language package
>> retrieval was already separated. It would provide a module to view all
>> available documentation and make it possible to retrieve it (and also
>> provide a Scheduler task for it I guess (probably better packaged as an
>> Extbase command controller)). It would be or not be integrated with the
>> EM to provide links to documentation there.
>
> IMO a separate module: Documentation / Library.
> It should show the documentation that comes with the installed
> extensions (whatever formats that are supported), documentation that
> comes with the core (also a chance to make INSTALL.txt and friends a bit
> better known?), links to online documentation and perhaps the
> documentation/tutorials that were downloaded to some predefined location.

Very interesting suggestions!

>> Going with further ideas we thought it would be nice to provide an API
>> for linking to a particular piece of documentation in the TYPO3 backend.
>> This could provide some kind of enhanced CSH or maybe even replace it
>> over time. It would certainly make it easier to maintain system
>> extension "cshmanual".
>
> For CSH we need to take into consideration that it support translations.
> That's why it's in language files which can be translated in our
> translation server.

Yes! I'm using Pootle to translate Sphinx documentation and it works
pretty well. Full manuals would be perhaps "too much" (although still
the best way to stay in sync if we want to translate documentation) but
CSH as separate projects could be totally feasible and working.

>> It could also provide a menu in the top bar with
>> links to "favorited" documentation (could be customized per user or user
>> group).
>
> And it can provide links for the EM to lead people to the documentation
> of extensions :-)

:)

--
Xavier Perseguers