[TYPO3-core] ReStructured Text in the TYPO3 backend

Jigal van Hemert jigal.van.hemert at typo3.org
Mon May 20 17:22:12 CEST 2013

Hi,

On 19-5-2013 21:50, François Suter wrote:
> - provide local rendering facilities. This is possible as Xavier has
> demonstrated with his "Sphinx" extension [1]. It requires to have Python
> on the server and - of course - Sphinx installation won't work (again)
> if the server is not connected to the Internet.

Zeta components seems to offer ReST - XHTML conversion in their Document
component [1]. I haven't looked at it yet, but if it works and if we can
include it, it might be a all-PHP solution for showing manuals.

[...]
> Anyway there needs to be some extension managing this: display, possibly
> retrieval too. Would it be the Extension Manager? Or a separate
> extension? Probably the latter is better, since language package
> retrieval was already separated. It would provide a module to view all
> available documentation and make it possible to retrieve it (and also
> provide a Scheduler task for it I guess (probably better packaged as an
> Extbase command controller)). It would be or not be integrated with the
> EM to provide links to documentation there.

IMO a separate module: Documentation / Library.
It should show the documentation that comes with the installed
extensions (whatever formats that are supported), documentation that
comes with the core (also a chance to make INSTALL.txt and friends a bit
better known?), links to online documentation and perhaps the
documentation/tutorials that were downloaded to some predefined location.

> Going with further ideas we thought it would be nice to provide an API
> for linking to a particular piece of documentation in the TYPO3 backend.
> This could provide some kind of enhanced CSH or maybe even replace it
> over time. It would certainly make it easier to maintain system
> extension "cshmanual".

For CSH we need to take into consideration that it support translations.
That's why it's in language files which can be translated in our
translation server.

 > It could also provide a menu in the top bar with
> links to "favorited" documentation (could be customized per user or user
> group).

And it can provide links for the EM to lead people to the documentation
of extensions :-)

[1]
http://zetacomponents.org/documentation/trunk/Document/tutorial.html#xhtml-rendering

--