[TYPO3-core] Backend module html structure

Felix Kopp felix-source at phorax.com
Mon May 20 14:43:17 CEST 2013

Dear extension developers,

with version 6.0 of TYPO3 CMS doc header rows were switched to bring the
button bar further to the content in focus. Accompanying this visual
change a slim html template was recommended to follow syntactically:

> 			{Function menu}
> 			{Page path}
> 			{Add}
> 			{Save}
> 			{Reload icon}
> 			{Shortcut icon}

> 		<h2>{Headline}</h2>
>
> 		{Content}

[1]

-> New are "typo3-docheader-functions" and "typo3-docheader-buttons".

Support for the former styles and html structure was of course never
dropped or broken. A deprecated CSS fallback layer [2] is delivered with
CMS ensuring all backend modules are displayed correctly.

I would like to drop this fallback now and support current html only.

What will happen: Extension authors will need to adjust their html
slightly. Backend modules not following this standard will not display
doc headers rows perfectly (colors, positioning).

Why: To be able to work with the docheaders more easily when improving
the TYPO3 backend overall. To follow new backend layout opportunities.

When: Now is the perfect time since most probably extension will be
changed with the launch of TYPO3 6.2 fundamentally:

Extension authors are already introducing namespaces, drop LL
compatibility with pre-6.0 and math functions are already adapted. You
remove require_once calls and cleanup inclusion of template.php.

Please use the new html structure in your extensions
and inform every developed around you about this change.

Thank you all very much for your time and power invested,
Felix*

Further reading:

- [1] Wiki showing html template recommendation
http://wiki.typo3.org/TYPO3_6.0.

- [2] Swap commit. CSS fallback & deprecation note
https://git.typo3.org/TYPO3v4/Core.git/blob/703bca1:/typo3/sysext/t3skin/stylesheets/structure/element_docheader.css

- Code Change:
https://review.typo3.org/#/c/20930/