[TYPO3-core] Fixing system categories

François Suter fsu-lists at cobweb.ch
Mon May 13 10:42:15 CEST 2013

Hi all,

As part of updating the Core APIs manual, I have been looking into
system categories, which were introduced in TYPO3 CMS 6.0, with a
long-pending patch [1] by Fabien to improve the API which helps adding
categories to any table.

The patch works fine and needs another active member review, but there's
one issue. The patch needs to be backported to 6.1, because the API was
broken by the TCA refactoring. However the patch also makes the
following setting:

TYPO3_CONF_VARS[SYS][defaultCategorizedTables]

work as expected, which it never did before. Now this setting has a
default value of "pages, tt_content", which means that - if the patch is
backported as is - the next minor release of 6.1 would have additional
fields for which the corresponding database columns will probably not
have been created (as users generally don't expect DB changes in minor
releases). This will cause SQL errors, and also represents a change in
UI in a minor release.

My proposal is to backport the patch with the addition of setting
TYPO3_CONF_VARS[SYS][defaultCategorizedTables] to an empty string for
6.1. For 6.2 we can leave it as is and advertise system categories in a
louder way upon 6.2 release.

What do you think?

Cheers

--