[TYPO3-core] MySQL to MySQLi: The "small change" way

Stefan Neufeind typo3.neufeind at speedpartner.de
Mon Mar 25 20:00:55 CET 2013

Gentleman,

We've discussed a few times that it might in the short run be useful to
migrate from MySQL to MySQLi, especially since the PHP-versions we
meanwhile require ship MySQLi anyway and some might decide to drop MySQL
in a not too distant future.

It was suggested, and I fully agree, that a clean solution allowing
multiple database-connection, maybe abstraction with the DBAL-relevant
part of Doctrine would be great to have. And I'll be happy to also work
on that - maybe/hopefully for 6.2 then.
(But that's a separate discussion I won't want to start here.)

I've given it a quick try how much is needed to turn DatabaseConnection
into using MySQLi, as a short-stop solution. And the change seems
actually reasonably small imho. See https://review.typo3.org/19280

This has not yet been checked in connection with DBAL or the like or
with a fresh intropackage-install without an existing DB. But that
should require only minimum adjustments here or there.

It would be great if some core-devs could make up their mind about it.
And if you don't want it for 6.1, I hope somebody will start working on
the "big solution" for 6.2 then.

But I see this "small" change as a first step to "raise the bar" with
6.1 to now require MySQLi - with a not too large change codewise.

Kind regards,
 Stefan