[TYPO3-core] PHP version requirement

Stefan Neufeind typo3.neufeind at speedpartner.de
Tue Mar 19 22:34:28 CET 2013

5.3.7 was chosen for a technical reason. If Debian ships an older
version with backports imho that's not something we can officially
support (Does not work on original 5.3.3 but since certain
Debian-patchlevel XYZ). Other distributions at least upgrade inside the
5.3.x-train :-(

Of the four mentioned distributions at least RHEL and CentOS are "equal"
by design.

I agree that the "plan" to have it run on the most commonly used
hosting-plattforms is okay. But when it comes to giving certain
version-numbers somewhere, I'd suggest to stick to the original
PHP-versions.
If Debian feels like backporting each and everything (and by that maybe
also breaking something?), fine but not really our business.

Regards,
 Stefan

On 03/19/2013 10:24 PM, Michael Stucki wrote:
> Hi Oliver, hi all,
>
> does Ernestos reply solve your objections? If not, let me know.
> Otherwise I would like to proceed and add the text to the release workflow.
>
> Greetings, Michael
>
> Am 12.03.2013 18:36, schrieb Ernesto Baschny [cron IT]:
>> Hi,
>>
>> It's not a promise, but a commitment ("should always be compatible").
>> Just as we are commited to fix security bugs in TYPO3 releases, we
>> should be commited to make TYPO3 work at least in the most used platforms.
>>
>> The text would make it clear what the minimal expected PHP versions
>> should at most be for each release. Of course it can be a hurtfully
>> constraint, but one that the public (users, hosters, ...) will generally
>> welcome.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Ernesto

[...]