[TYPO3-core] Question regarding character conversion support

Michael Stucki michael.stucki at typo3.org
Tue Mar 19 11:12:02 CET 2013

Hi Christian,

I agree that the native implementation should be removed in the long
run. I am not sure exactly why iconv should be used, but I suggest to
keep it too. Here's an article about it:
http://beeznest.wordpress.com/2008/04/22/mbstring-vs-iconv/

My suggestion is to keep all code for now but mark the native
implementation as well as recode as deprecated.

Changing the default to mbstring right now seems like a good thing IMHO.

Greetings, Michael