[TYPO3-core] Question regarding character conversion support

Christian Kuhn lolli at schwarzbu.ch
Tue Mar 19 10:57:15 CET 2013

Hey.

I'm currently thinking about a "auto configure" system in the install
tool that aims to set sane defaults / suggestions based on system
environment.

In this process I again stumbled upon our charset conversion (formerly
t3lib_cs) class. Currently, it implements 4 solutions: mbstring, iconv,
recode and 'own code', defaulting to 'own code'. The default solution is
extremely slow, some different default should be set.

For the last couple of years I didn't see any PHP without mbstring in
the wild. Even debian lenny (php 5.2.6) delivered with it enabled in the
base package.

So, my question is if we could just rely on mbstring and drop the rest?
Is it ok if we expect mbstring to be available? Are there *common*
setups without enabled mbstring? Question is towards usual linux
distros, windows and mac systems, but not to handcrafted systems like
gentoo.

My goal is to either fully rely on mbstring (it the quickest one), or to
enforce mbstring or iconv (recode is broken anyway). At least I would
like to get rid of the 'own slow code' solution. Is that ok?

Regards
Christian