[TYPO3-core] PHP version requirement

Michael Stucki michael.stucki at typo3.org
Tue Mar 12 09:24:59 CET 2013

Hi!

I would like to summarize this thread:

TYPO3 6.0 works fine with Debian Squeeze. There is only one issue which
can't be fixed by us, however it might be fixed in a future version of
Debian's PHP package:
- http://forge.typo3.org/issues/44378
- http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=702004

I addeed a note about this on http://typo3.org/download/.

For the future, I propose the following statement:

--- cut ---
Platform support

TYPO3 CMS is working on every platform which supports PHP and other
(optional) tools.

Within a stable release, no changes that break compatibility to the
software requirements must be added.

New releases may break the compatibility of software requirements if
there is a good reason for it. Such changes should be announced on the
Core Team mailing list before they are committed.

New releases should always be compatible with the latest stable (LTS)
version of the following Linux Operating Systems: Debian, Ubuntu,
CentOS, Redhat. (These are the 4 most used Linux Operating Systems for
web hosting as of March 2013.
Source: http://w3techs.com/technologies/history_details/os-linux)

Other platforms (Windows, MacOS) usually don't have 3rd party software
(like PHP, MySQL) bundled with the operating system. It can be installed
independently using the latest available version.

The website of http://distrowatch.com/ offers a nice overview about
operating systems and their shipped package versions.

Can we add this to our Release Workflow guideline? Just to make sure the
same problem won't come up again...

Greetings, Michael

--
Michael Stucki