[TYPO3-core] PHP version requirement

Karsten Dambekalns karsten at typo3.org
Mon Mar 11 14:06:30 CET 2013

Hi Ernesto.

On 08.03.2013, at 16:36, Ernesto Baschny <ernesto.baschny at typo3.org> wrote:
> According to [1] even Flow 2.0 seems to support PHP 5.3.2. Why? This is
> not consistent to what you are saying. Maybe you are not representing
> the "Flow Release Team" with your opinion? Or maybe you haven't even
> discussed the matter in the Flow team yet? There is no clue in the
> release notes to the minimum required PHP version.

The documentation (Quickstart and Getting Started) state the needed PHP version.

And yes, it's 5.3.2. And no, not because of inconsistencies. :)

I loathe that "5.3.2 because of some widespread distributions", but neither I nor the team are stupid and ignorant (at least not at the same time). So we still support it, becasue every time we discussed that topic so far, enough people pointed to Debian and other distributions' PHP version.

No need to discuss this further, as there is no "solution".

Regards,
Karsten

PS: I still hate that policy and believe simply shipping updated PHP packages can be as backwards compatible.
--
Karsten Dambekalns
TYPO3 Core Developer, Neos / Flow Team

TYPO3 .... inspiring people to share!